Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dreamliner Takes Flight




Today was a big day for me. As most of you know, I work for Boeing. Most of you probably don't know what I do there. I am a structural engineer or a stress engineer, depending on your lingo. I am responsible for the analysis of the pylon to wing structure for the 787 propulsion program. In the simplest terms, my job is to make sure, through detailed analysis and testing, that the engines stay attached to the wings during flight and can safely break away from the plane in case of a crash. I have been working on this for over three years now. After 2 years of delays, the 787 finally took it's maiden voyage today. Thousands of Boeing employees watched this event from the flight line. I was one of them. In a year, airlines will begin receiving 787's for their fleets and some of you may get to fly on one. Hopefully I will get to fly on it this year to support flight testing activites.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi6q54Fd308 - CNN Video From the Paine Field Tower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GqB0Jp5ESk - Boeing Employee Video from the Flight Line

No comments:

Post a Comment